Cycling is a simple and interesting sport which has attracted many people with different countries, genders, age and career. However, many overweight people might think they are not suitable for cycling since lots of bikes have light frames that might be broken under their weight. Actually, there are many bikes which are particularly made for overweight women, let’s explore them!
When you look around your place, it is not difficult to find an enormous amount of bikes with various colors, brands or design styles. It is because recently cycling has become a trend which both male and female riders are excited about. So as an overweight woman, how to choose the best suitable bikes for you among these bikes?
Why do we need to find special bikes for overweight women?
Many people will wonder why recommend that obese people ride at all? Why not just advise them to walk, another form of exercise commonly recommended to severely overweight people? About a decade ago, people have looked into walking’s mechanical load on leg joints and found that even brisk walking put enormous strain on obese people’s joints, particularly their knees. Walking at a gentle pace on a slightly inclined treadmill was fine, but it’s not nearly as inspiring as riding outside. Cycling, as a generally non-load bearing aerobic exercise, could be a better choice, if it were safer and more comfortable.
Besides, many women just love cycling as an exercise more than walking, so that’s their choice and they want to find a bike. The number of overweight women who need bikes for exercising and losing weight are much higher for women with fit bodies. As a result, the need for finding special bikes for them are more necessary. If they can find a suitable bike for themselves, it will help them a lot in achieving their dream bodies.
However, it is not an easy task since cycling online pages and stores are usually filled with sleek, sexy bikes. Feathery light and wicked fast. And while they’re beautiful to look at, they may not be the right bike for overweight women. And about materials, most of the bikes on the market are made of aluminum, which is a light material and cannot support the weight of heavy women. Also, the frame is sometimes easy to break under their weight. They need to find bikes which are more durable, more stable and able to carry their weight.
Nevertheless, although most manufacturers have their weight limits listed online, many bike shop employees are not experienced at working with bigger people and won’t know the weight limits for the bikes. Therefore, they might recommend the normal bikes for overweight people, which they could not use for the long run. Therefore, overweight women should know how to find the best bike for themselves. And this post will help them a lot!
Special features of bikes for overweight women compared to others
More durable materials: When it comes to overweight people, materials really matter because it directly affects the bikes’ weight, durability, stability, and quality. As far as I know, the majority of bikes on market nowadays are primarily made out of three materials – steel, aluminum, and carbon (some really expensive bikes are made out of titanium, too). Most entry-level bikes are recommended with aluminum which are affordable and easy to use by the shop owners. But heavier riders perhaps look into more durable materials, as they tend to have higher weight limits. This especially becomes a factor if you plan on carrying cargo.
If you are shy about how much you weigh, you should carefully research the materials before you go to the bike shop.
Higher price: Products for overweight women are usually more expensive than those for lighter individuals, and bikes are not an exception, so you should consider more carefully before buying. You should determine how much you can spend on your bikes, or whether that price is reasonable considering the weak and strong points of the bike.
Supporting saddle: Besides the durability, comfort when riding bikes are also important. For one overweight person, a saddle must be the right size and shape to properly support them. Rider position on the bike is key in alleviating stress on the spine that could cause issues with disc tissue.
Larger wheels: Wheels are essential parts of bikes, which affect not only how much weight the bike can carry but also if it can move comfortably in different terrains. For big women, they usually have to look for bikes with larger wheels, if not, their safety will not be ensured.
Stronger braking system: For overweight women, the braking system must be more powerful so that it could carry their weight. A light and weak pair of brakes might break easily or more seriously, make the riders fall out of the bike. Whether you buy bikes for big women or for anyone, safety is still one of the most important factors to consider, and the braking system will directly affect that.
Some types of bikes for overweight women
1. The Schwinn Loop Folding Bicycle
A folding bicycle is a bicycle designed to fold into a compact form, facilitating transport and storage. When folded, the bikes can be more easily carried into buildings, on public transportation (facilitating mixed-mode commuting and bicycle commuting), and more easily stored in compact living quarters or aboard a car, boat or plane. Because of its convenience, overweight people usually like it because they are varied in choices. They can stop riding and fold the bike whenever they are tired.
Distinguished by the complexities of their folding mechanism, more demanding structural requirements, the greater number of parts, and more specialized market appeal, folding bikes may be more expensive than comparable non-folding models. Therefore, if overweight women still find it affordable, it will be a good choice for them. The choice of model, apart from cost considerations, is a matter of resolving the various practical requirements: a quick, easy fold, a compact folded size or a faster but less compact model.
And when it comes to folding bikes, the Schwinn bikes are usually the top choices of folding bikes because of the famous brand. For most of its century-long history, Schwinn Cycle has been a leading manufacturer of bicycles and bicycle accessories. So here we recommend one of its products: The Schwinn Loop Folding Bicycle. Arriving in an almost complete state of assembly, the steel bike comes standard with a carriage bag (when folded), back carriage for your stuff – while on the move, and a seven-speed Shimano RevoShift Twist shifter paired with a Shimano Tourney rear derailleur to ensure perfect shifts through any terrain your riding takes you. For the talent, weight limit, and cycling thrill, there is no bike better than this.
- Materials: As I said before, most bikes on the market nowadays are recommended with aluminum which is affordable and easy to use by the shop owners. But heavier riders should look into more durable materials, and this bike, which is solid, steel built – capable of handling some (serious) extra weight, should be the best choice when it comes to the material.
- Extra carry bag: When you buy this bike, you will be given a standard carry bag for the bike when folded down. Additionally, despite its sturdy built which I mentioned above, the bike is pretty light and easy to be carried (weighs only 33 lbs).
- Difficult to fold: This bike has no Velcro to hold down the bike when folded, therefore, you’ll have to rely on its internal systems for that.
2. Omeng Kamarte Shock Speed Mountain Bike 26”
Omeng is a newer bike brand that offers many different types of bikes and bike accessories to cover a wide variety of riding styles. From mountain bikes to kid’s bikes, Omeng has a bike that can suit our needs. Folding bike is not an exception.
With a high-carbon steel frame, the Omeng Kamarte Shock Speed Mountain Bike provides riders with comfortable shock absorption, which can bring smooth cruising and easy riding. Additionally, it has a great braking system, with front and rear disc brakes, you can choose any speed with perfect brakes and excellent full suspension riding in mud, creeks, sand, road with ease. All those characteristics are essential when finding bikes for overweight women: comfort and safety.
- Strongly built: With the durable frame and powerful braking system which provides good carrying weight capacity for users, this bike is able to handle big guys on big hills. There is nothing to worry about its carrying capacity.
- Great shock absorption: One of the most noticeable features of this bike probably is its greatest shock absorption. It is because this bike is designed with unique tires which can easily take on the different types of off road terrains. It can handle hilly terrains and the gear change is awesome and smooth. Therefore, overweight riders can enjoy the comfort of riding this bike.
- Difficult to fold: Folding is one unique trait of this kind of bike, so many people will consider it as the value of the bike. Some people have reported that the Omeng bike is still quite bulky when folded, which made them feel unsatisfied.
3. EuroMini Urbano Folding Bicycle
This bike is from the ZiZZO company. Their bike’s goal is to integrate the popular cycling culture of Europe for a healthier lifestyle into mainstream American culture. ZiZZO wants to deliver all the benefits and take away all the hassles. ZiZZO, a big bike ride without compromise. When you ride ZiZZO the first time and every time, you will be surprised by its performance. It rides like a full-sized bike and it’s fast and quick, also the gearing will take you up a hill with ease, and down with speed safely. For overweight people, comfort is one of the most essential factors when buying bikes, EuroMini bikes from ZiZZO are one of the best choices, especially the Urbano folding bike.
Lightweight with more capabilities than you can imagine the Urbano has you covered from commuting to recreational fun, it was designed to tackle all types of riding and styles. With the genuine Shimano 8 speed gearing, V-style brakes, lightweight multi-terrain tires, and our top-of-the-line LX lightweight aluminum frame, the Urbano is ready to take on the road or trail when you are.
- Lightweight frame: Although it is for overweight women, an aluminum frame is not a weak point but a strong point of this bike. Because although it weighs only 24 lbs, the Urbano can do everything from recreational riding to daily commuting. Also, the lightweight will make it easy to carry by the overweight women, after a long day of riding. Also, it is easy to be folded and unfolded.
- Adjustable Stem: The stem is made to adapt to riders of all sizes from under five feet to over six feet four. Therefore, both fit women and overweight women can use it, and they can adjust it to fit their size.
- No assembly: The bike is completely assembled by the company, so the customers do not have to do anything with it. They just have to sit on the bike and start to ride, which will save a lot of time for them.
- Multi-gear: The multi-gear makes a huge difference going up a small hill. Also, there are many different terrains that the bike can overcome this multi-gear system. Buyers just have to find out what they need during each terrain.
- Easy to be broken: As a result of the light frame, some buyers have reported that their bike is broken during the way, which let them into a dangerous situation.
4. DJ 750W 48V 13Ah Fat Bike
An electric bicycle is also known as an e-bike or e-bike is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor that can be used to assist propulsion. All retain the ability to be pedaled by the rider and are therefore not electric motorcycles. E-bikes function like hybrid electric vehicles since the electric motor combines battery propulsion with another source of electricity. With its power, it is the best choice when you are tired of riding normal bikes! As an overweight lady, you might hate cycling because of the tiredness that you feel after cycling for a long road. With this electric bike, however, all those fears (and closely associated ones) can be forgotten.
However, despite this convenience, the options of electric bikes for overweight women are not much. If you’re close to 300 lbs or are well over it, so the DJ 750W 48V 13Ah Fat Bike is the best choice for you if you want to find an electric bike!
Coming from a famous and trusted company, DJ Fat Bike is an all-purpose powerful electric bike built with high-quality mainstream components. The bike is powerful, affordable, durable, quiet, clean looking, easy to use, and can bring you tons of fun! This performs perfectly through the city or on light off-road trails with an integrated front headlight and suspension to absorb shocks. Whether you are a commuter, senior, casual rider, or sports fan, this is the bike built for everyone.
The powerful 48V LG battery can be dismounted and charged anywhere on the go. The charger has a safe design to prevent overcharge. Enjoying scenery without sweating while saving money is the best combination.
- Certification: DJ Bikes is proud of being the first bike shop passing the highest safety and quality standard recognized by industries and consumers in both the US and Canada. The bike frame, motor, battery pack, and charger all meet respective standards.
- Excellent price: As in the post, price is one of the most important factors when choosing a bike for overweight women. With an affordable price, DJ 750W is one of the most suitable choices for those who pay attention to the price.
- High quality & warranty: Stainless aluminum frame, Samsung battery, Bafang motor, Tun Gun suspension fork, Shimano gear, and Tektro brakes as mainstream components. Manufacturer warranty applied.
- Comfortable drive: And of course, it is one of the most essential factors that most bikes should have. As for overweight women who need that more than fit women, the comfortable cushion saddle allows you to ride longer with ease.
- Charging issue: No matter how wonderful this bike is, it is an electric bike, after all, and it needs to be charged, to be enjoyed. If power is an issue where you live, the bike may not function as intended.
- Too heavy for carrying: At the weight of 57 lb, the bike is a bit too heavy because of its materials. If you need to carry it up a flight of stairs, this could be a challenge.
5. Speedrid Folding Electric Bike
Another kind of electric bike with 350W powerful motor equipped with 48V 350W high-speed brushless motor. Also, this bike has a removable lithium battery which can be easily disassembled for charging. Last but not least, like many mechanical bikes above, the Speedrid has an LCD display to tell owners much essential information about the bike such as remaining battery life, total distance traveled, mileage, current speed, and more.
- Battery: As I mentioned above, the battery is one of the most noticeable strengths of this electric bike. The high-speed brushless motor provides more than enough to power your daily commute, a cruise on the mountain, or a meander along your favorite trail. With speeds up to 20 mph, it will get you there swiftly.
- Aluminum folding frame: A light and high-quality material. The 20inch e-bike adopts an aluminum alloy collapsible frame for quick folding and easy storage. You can have it with minimal storage space and easily store it in any vehicle. It is ideal for traveling holidays.
- Easy assembly: One unique trait of this bicycle is its straight-forward assembly. It is already 85% assembled when you buy it. Therefore, it’s not hard to finish assembly by yourself.
- Durable: Since the bike is made of light material which makes it more beautiful and more flexible, this also makes it easier to be broken. Some customers have complained that their brakes are broken after several days of use.
6. The Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike
Fat tire mountain bikes are usually one of the best choices for overweight people because fat bikes usually have oversized tires, which enables them to carry an enormous amount of weight. Initially, fat bikes were invented for use in snow and sand, but they are also capable of traversing diverse terrain types, and in this case, it is to ride through the mountain.
The fat tire mountain bikes usually share some similarities with other bicycles but incorporate features designed to enhance durability – which is one of the most important factors to find bikes for overweight women (as mentioned above), and they can perform in rough terrain. These also typically include large knobby tires, more durable wheels, more powerful brakes, straight handlebars – which are all needed for overweight people riding.
Especially, the Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire Mountain Bike has supersized all-terrain knobby tires, because it is designed to take all the bumps the road throws on you, and ensure supreme comfort when you mount these two wheels.
- Comfort ride: As mentioned above, this bike is fitted with supersized all-terrain knobby tires that ensure both a steady and cushioned ride – on a regular bike can never ensure. Durability and stability are all important factors when choosing a bike for overweight women. Moreover, the bike also has a pair of comfortable beach cruiser pedals which ensures long, super comfortable rides.
- Powerful brake system: Standard front and rear disc brakes. These brakes are damn efficient and well better than the traditional options. Since for overweight women, the braking system must be more powerful than bikes for normal people so that it could carry their weight, this is a bonus point of the Dolomite bike. Because whether you buy bikes for big women or for anyone, safety is still one of the most important factors to consider, while the weak pair of brakes might break easily or more seriously, make the overweight riders fall out of the bike.
- Various speeds: Seven awesome speeds to handle the terrains even better plus twist shifters that make it smooth and easy to change gears while riding.
- Manly design: The bike looks very ‘manly’. If you’re not the type of woman who enjoys such ‘manly stuff’, you may not like the bike.
- No rear carriage: Mountain bikes usually come with a rear carriage, which this bike does not have. If you think the carriage is important, you might not want to buy this bike.
7. Diamondback Bicycles Lux Women’s Mountain Bike
Another choice for overweight females who love mountain bikes: the Diamondback bicycles Lux. Diamondback bicycle company has a reputation for a brand that builds some of the most durable, high-quality, and at the same time, cheap enough hybrid, road, and mountain bikes. The company started as a BMX bike manufacturer, but nowadays, they produce almost all bike types. Another different approach taken by Diamondback is on the pricing of their products.
The cyclists very often view them as entry-level bike manufacturers, and many bikers know that a Diamondback bicycle is always the right choice for beginners. Diamondback sells their bikes much cheaper than your local bike shop because they market online, and this is much cheaper than having an offline shop or chain of distribution. Therefore, choosing a Diamondback bike is not a bad choice, especially for someone who cannot pay an expensive price for a bike.
The Diamondback Lux 1 women’s mountain bike is designed to suit a wide range of female riders looking to get into mountain biking, therefore; even overweight women can use it without any problem. The sleek frame provides plenty of standover clearance so you can easily maneuver the bike. With 27.5” wheels for quick handling, the Lux stays calm and collected in nearly every situation — whether that’s climbing a steep trail, winding through twisty singletrack, or letting loose on the downhills.
- Beautiful design: Diamondback has seen the need for a dedicated women’s line and started from the bottom up, so they focus on the female cyclist. This bike is tailored-fit for women. It carries proven performance components, a lightweight design for a smooth ride, and a unique color scheme, which all women need. And of course, the design still makes sure that the bike is strong and durable enough for overweight women to use it every day.
- Affordable for first-timers: Like all the Diamondback bikes, this bike is also one of the greatest choices for a first-timer, because it is really easy to use.
- Powerful brakes: As I mentioned above, brakes are one of the most important things that you should consider when buying bikes for overweight women, and this bike has one strong point: Its disc brakes are ideal for rapid stopping power. To be specific, they are the Tektro Aries mechanical disc brakes with 160mm front and rear rotor.
- No kickstand: You usually think that kickstand is one of the must need when it comes to bikes or motorbikes and you will not have to worry about it, but this bike does not have! Therefore, when you have to do parking, this might be a problem.
- Hard saddle: Comfort saddle is one of the most important things mentioned when it comes to special features of bikes for overweight women compared to other bikes, but this bike’s saddle is a little bit hard. However, if you still want to buy this, you can add an extra cushion to the bike to make it more comfortable. Therefore, it will not negatively affect your cycling experience.
8. Schwinn Phocus 1500 Flat Bar Sport Fitness Hybrid Bike.
Another bike from the famous and long history Schwinn bike company. Hybrid bicycles blend characteristics from more specialized road bikes, touring bikes, and mountain bikes. Including the characteristics of mountain bikes mentioned before, hybrid bikes can also be a good choice for overweight people.
As it comes from a well-known and trustworthy brand, this bike is designed in a smart and sporty manner, and it has disc brakes and an impressive 8-speed gear system to help you tackle the tough hill and uneven terrain.
The crowning reality of the bike is that it is wicked fast – a reality you will enjoy if you’re looking to shed some weight in addition to having fun cycling.
- Aesthetic design: As I said before, the Schwinn Phocus Hybrid Bike has a sporty look, which many women will be impressed by. If you consider the bike’s appearance as one of the most important factors when it comes to buying a bike, then this bike should be your top choice!
- Comfort ride: This bike is wickedly fast! If you have ever been bothered by the speed of a bicycle, you’ll be glad that this thing really moves! The smooth ride probably gives you comfort!
- Strong brake system: One of the essential factors when buying bikes for overweight people. If you are still worried about your safety, then these standard disc brakes are damn efficient and responsive to the touch.
- Light frame: You really love this bike, but reading what I mentioned above, you might think aluminum materials might not suit your weight? Don’t worry, this bike is made of aluminum, yes, it is light but it is really strong!
- Hard sitting: As I said in the post, a comfortable saddle is one of the most important characteristics of the bike, therefore, you might look for it when you choose a bike. However, the standard saddle on this bike is the hard-type variant. If you love your saddles soft, you may need to change the original option that comes with this bike. Moreover, the sitting position of the bike is not straight, thanks to low handlebars and an overall aerodynamic inclination. Be certain you truly appreciate this reality before buying.
9. Sixthreezero EVRYjourney Women’s Step-Through Hybrid Cruiser Bicycle
Overall, with high gloss chrome components and a frame with a glistening sheen, the EVRYjourney classic hybrid cruiser looks like a sleek, modern showpiece, which is really beautiful and aesthetic for almost everyone. Using chrome as the components, the bike is light but still hard enough to carry overweight people, but it still has an affordable price so buyers do not have to worry about it!
- Various functions: The bike can work effectively in different terrains: cruiser, mountain, or traditional commuter bikes
- Saddle: As comfortable saddle is one of the most important factors in finding bikes for overweight women, and not like the Schwinn Phocus bike above, the Sixthreezero bikes provide riders with a soft, large, comfortable riding saddle that is very butt friendly – especially if your butt is on the large side as an obese lady. Additionally, going with the comfortable saddle, there is also a standard upright riding position that helps keep the back, shoulders, and legs happy – especially on long commutes.
- Standard tires: Besides the wheels, the size of the tires is also important when choosing bikes for overweight women. The Sixthreezero bike has standard 1.95-inch wide whitewall semi-slick tires that provide a cushioned, stable ride for easy and super comfortable rolling.
- Gear system: The Sixthreezero bike provides riders with an impressive 7 gear system for tackling all manner of terrains with the greatest ease. As I said before, it can work effectively even when you are in a cruiser, mountain, or even just traditional commuter cycling, all thanks to this gear system. If you’ve got hills to climb or want to cover more miles, the 3-speed and 7-speed models will get you to your destination with style and grace. If you’ve wanted to cruise around your neighborhood or just easy-going rides on flat terrain, please choose the single-speed model. Finally, the 21-speed model will help you tackle demanding street, trail, long-distance, and uphill riding.
- Difficult assembly: Unlike some simple bikes which only need around 30 minutes to assemble, the Sixthreezero bike is really complicated when it comes to structuring. It requires you to take time and attempt to assemble it effectively. Therefore, if you’re not a very handy woman when it comes to bike assembly, you may need to find a technician to assemble the unit to a rideable state.
- Imported bike: For the superconscious American lady who prefers products that are made in the US, you should notice that this bike is imported.
10. Kent Pomona Women’s Dual Suspension Comfort Bike
As a hybrid bike, comfort is one of the most noticeable traits, and comfort is really essential when it comes to overweight women. This bike is not an exception. It absorbs all the shock, keeps the bumps away, and ensures that you have a smooth ride and your body, importantly, does not wind up in pains and sores after a ride.
Powered by a complete shock-absorbing system (both in front and on the rear), this comfort bike takes the meaning of ‘comfort’ to the next level, especially where uneven terrain is in question.
- Comfort ride: As I said before when mentioned the Kent Pomona bike, comfort is indispensable. The full suspension system in front and at the rear; ensures unparalleled comfort on dirt roads, bumps, and potholes. Also, there is a super comfortable cruiser seat that complements the overall comfort the suspension ensures, along with 26 x 1.95 comfort tires that complete the ‘comfort trio story’. Therefore, the bike will enhance comfort to the highest level, which should be the top choice for overweight women who need a comfortable ride experience.
- Chain: Full chain cover to keep the usual chain mess at bay.
- Difficult to assemble: Assemble this bike yourself is not the easiest with this bike. Unlike the bikes which only take you around 20 minutes of assembly, this bike requires you to get it professionally assembled.
- This bike has no water bottle holder.
Tips for cycling as an obese female rider
Before cycling, you should consider these tips:
- Your safety is the most important: Not only for overweight women but for everyone, and not only for cycling but also for everything you do, safety is still the important thing to consider. However, as an overweight woman, you should be more careful, because sometimes your weight might be a problem. Therefore, choosing a durable and stable bike with a strong brake system before cycling is essential for you.
- You should wear clothes that make you feel good: This meant lycra, clip-in shoes and those tiny little bike hats. You can ride your bike in anything, but the key factor is comfort. If you do not feel confident and comfortable, you might not want to ride, no matter the distance. This is not to say that bike clothes don’t work for bigger people. Many people swear by them for the sports performance factor. However nowadays, some athletic brands are getting better about expanded size ranges, and sometimes all it takes is someone to be blunt and courageous enough to reach out to those brands and ask for better sizing.
Be more careful with different terrains: When you ride, you might want to try different terrains, and hills will be one of those choices. However, after you’ve climbed a few hills, you will notice that you seem to climb them with more effort than lower-weight people, but you descend the hills with greater speed. Look at a topographical map before you ride to see how many hills you’ll be crossing. Or, know your terrain. Biking 50 miles in Wisconsin feels like biking 100 in Illinois. Hills make the workout more intense, but they’re hard on your knees. I dare say that a longer ride on flat terrain is better for you physically and mentally than a short ride killing yourself over hills.
In conclusion, these bikes above all come from trusted companies and have some factors that overweight women need when finding bikes for themselves. Therefore, whatever you choose, it will still be a good choice, just try to find something which suits your tastes, and you think it will be the most comfortable for you. Hopefully, you will have the best cycling experience!