Cycling is a simple and interesting sport for many people. However, guys who have large body sizes might think it is difficult to find suitable bikes for themselves.
There are many kinds of bikes which are highly recommended for big guys so that they can take part in this activity. By cycling, they are also able to lose weight and have healthier bodies.
Why Do Overweight Men Need Special Bikes?
Overall, compared to other people, heavy men should choose bikes with stronger, larger frames and wheels, which make the bikes more durable and unbreakable under their weight. Additionally, strong pairs of brakes are also necessary for their safety.
Some types of road bikes and mountain bikes have those characteristics because they are made to run in difficult terrains, so their safety and durability should be ensured.
So why do big men need particular bikes for themselves? Cycling is something that everyone should be able to enjoy.
With this in mind, bikes should be made for everyone. Unfortunately, conventional bike manufacturers do not make many bikes for big guys.
Some bikes have extremely light and breakable frames that cannot carry their weight. If so, the bike might break while they are driving on the road and accidents might happen.
Moreover, cycling is one of the methods to control their weight, since it is extremely simple and suitable for losing weight.
Therefore, if big guys want to find bikes for this purpose, they will need bikes more than people with a fit body. Additionally,
In short, cycling is important and, if you are a big guy, you need to be careful in your search for a bicycle. Below are some top bikes from manufacturers that will support big guys.
Bikes for big guys
1. Speedrid Folding Electric Bike
Another kind of electric bike with 350W powerful motor equipped with 48V 350W high-speed brushless motor. Also, this bike has a removable lithium battery which can be easily disassembled for charging.
Last but not least, like many mechanical bikes above, the Speedrid has an LCD display to tell owners much essential information about the bike such as remaining battery life, total distance traveled, mileage, current speed, and more.
- Battery: As I mentioned above, the battery is one of the most noticeable strengths of this electric bike. The high-speed brushless motor provides more than enough to power your daily commute, a cruise on the mountain, or a meander along your favorite trail. With speeds up to 20 mph, it will get you there swiftly.
- Aluminum folding frame: A light and high-quality material. The 20inch e-bike adopts an aluminum alloy collapsible frame for quick folding and easy storage. You can have it with minimal storage space and easily store it in any vehicle. It is ideal for traveling holidays.
- Easy assembly: One unique trait of this bicycle is its straight-forward assembly. It is already 85% assembled when you buy it. Therefore, it’s not hard to finish assembly by yourself.
- Durable: Since the bike is made of light material which makes it more beautiful and more flexible, this also makes it easier to be broken. Some customers have complained that their brakes are broken after several days of use.
2. X-PRO Supersized 200X Youth Mini Bike
A special bike with a strong 196cc four-stroke, air-cooled engine surpasses virtually any other mini bike on the market. This deluxe-sized mini bike effortlessly accommodates teens and adults up to 200 lbs.
- Safety: The most outstanding feature of this bike is it contains parts that are made to ensure the riders’ safety such as a chain guard, exhaust heat shield, metal frame, and engine stop switch.
- Smooth ride: Dual front suspension cushions the ride while the large and wide off-road tires increase ground clearance and improve traction. Therefore, it will bring the best cycling experience, because it is fast and easy to ride for any novice riders.
- Assembly: Need some wrenches and tools to assemble this bike, but still not too hard to do.
- Some people have reported that the bike was shipped to them with a flat front tire which made them unsatisfied.
3. Addmotor Motan 750W Electric Bike
Another type of electric bike which is extremely suitable for people who are around 350lb. The motor of the bike enables it to produce 500 continuous watts and can go as high as 750 watts.
This powerful motor ensures that the Motan is one of the most powerful e-bikes in the market.
- Battery: As an electric bike, the battery should be one of the most important things to be considered. The massive lithium battery (48V system and a 10.4 Ah) can run around 35-45 miles before it requires to be recharged. The location of the lithium battery on the downtube leaves the bike well balanced. Furthermore, the battery can be removed conveniently for charging or storing.
- Stability: This bike has impressive stability thanks to its high-quality materials and motor. From the aluminum frame to the fat tires, not to mention that there is a powerful motor that adds to its general versatility.
- No backlight: Safety is one of the important factors that riders usually consider when buying bikes. However, the Addmotor bike doesn’t come with a backlight, making it a bit risky to ride in the night.
- Difficult assembly: Due to a large number of components, the Addmotor bike is really difficult to assemble, which makes the amateur riders unable to use it. However, you can try to find a professional technician if you want to pursue one.
4. Diamondback MTB for Big Guys
Another kind of hardtail bike for big guys that are strongly recommended considering. Its hand-built aluminum frame is very sturdy, and it has large wheels (around 27.5″) that will support your weight.
The only downside is that it’s built for shorter fat guys between 5’4 and 5′ 7″. So if you don’t mind the height limitations, then this one is an excellent option to consider.
- Good design: The light and durable aluminum frame allow riders to move comfortably in difficult terrains. Also, it has sleek seats and grooved rubber handlebar grips.
- Powerful brakes system: Shimano Mt500 hydraulic disc brakes provide plenty of stopping power, which ensures your safety in different terrains.
- Large rolling wheels: the big wheels (around 29’’ large diameter) are able to roll over big holes and keep riders from getting stuck in roots and crevices.
- Size variety: Diamondback bikes provide riders with many size options, everyone can find the one that fits their weight and height. Their range comes from small, medium, large to even extra-large sizes.
- Plastic pedals: One of the biggest minus points for this type of bike is its pedals are made of plastic – which is not an environmentally friendly material.
- Uncomfortable seat: The seat can be quite uncomfortable on long rides, so buyers might need to change the seat if they want to use this bike in the long run.
Bike for big and tall guys
5. Gravity Bullseye Monster Men’s Fat Bike
An excellent quality bike for handling heavy riders, therefore, many experts named the Bullseye as the best-value, entry-level fat bike. The Bullseye exhibited superior flotation on snow and mud terrains, which are extremely suitable for people who live near those places. And for a fat bike, this behemoth struck cyclists as a fast ride.
- Frame: Experts and users rated the frame highly for being lightweight and well-built, with good welds and a contemporary style. However, it is still able to carry tall and heavy people without any problem.
- Price: This bike is only around $500, which is extremely cheap and affordable for a bike that has many functions like this. When you have to ride through many difficult terrains, you will fully understand the value of this bike!
- Brakes: Disc brakes worked well, but were underpowered for the Bullseye’s weight. They should improve the brakes to be fitter to the large bike like Gravity Bullseye.
6. Schwinn Huron And Mikko Beach Cruiser Bike
Another Schwinn bike, this bike is noticeable for its vintage styling, solid cruiser steel frame, and forks, rear coaster brakes, easy-to-use Single Speed drivetrain, ease to ride and assemble.
- Easy assembly: As I mentioned before, easy assembly is one of the most outstanding features of this bike. Some customers reported that it only took them around 30 minutes to assemble this bike.
- Design: The classic, vintage look is the most strong point of this bike. It is an ideal option for customers who prefer the bikes’ outlook.
- Easy riding: Twist gear shift to make it easier for beginning bikers. Therefore, people who start to learn to ride a bike can consider the Schwinn Huron as an option.
- Suitable for tall guys: This bike has a 17″ frame with 26″ wheels fits adults between 5’4″ and 6’2″
- Limited instructions: Manual should use some additional, detailed instructions. Some buyers reported that they only looked at the pictures to double-check that the washers were put in the correct order.
- Difficult to adjust the seat’s height: There is no quick-release lever for the seat for quick height adjustments, so some buyers had problems with it.
7. Cyrusher XF800 Fat Tire Electric Bike
Another good bike that you should consider, the Cyrusher is most suitable for tall men.
- Safe and high-quality materials: Nothing to worry about materials, since the products already have passed CE certification, therefore; many factors such as health, safety, and environmental protection standards are ensured. Only anti-exposure safety painting materials are used to make this bike.
- Trustworthy brand: Cyrusher is a professional Mountain Bike, E-bike, and Road bike manufacturer. They are committed to using technological innovations to produce superior products for their customers. Selling by factory directly, you can get the best products at the best price and the best quality.
- Fat-tire Bike: One of the most noticeable features of this bike. The bikes’ tires are increased in size to strengthen friction of the road surface, making driving more stable to suit all road conditions such as mountain, snow, road, beach. You can enjoy cycling wherever you are.
- Rear rack: Many people would need a rack with a hinged seat post mount to allow the rack to have travel play. However, because the lower frame is a swing mount and shock, finding a rear rack for Cyrusher bikes is really problematic.
Mountain bikes for big guys
8. Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle
The first one you should consider is Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike. It has large wheels and wide tires which allow you to ride on many different terrains. Therefore, this kind of bike might be a little heavy, but when you get familiar with it, it will be fun to ride.
- Reasonable price: The Dolomite is one of the cheapest fat-tire bikes in the world (only around $339 to $670).
- Durability: Many people are able to pursue one. Also, the steel frame and the wheels are extremely durable.
- Stability on the road: Large wheels absorb all the bumps and drops which give you stability and a comfortable riding experience.
- Design: The color paintwork has received many compliments. The bike has some different color options: red, navy, and light blue.
- The Mongoose Dolomite’s large wheels might be too heavy for some riders, making it hard to move. Also, the grip-shift on the handlebar often led to riders accidentally changing gears.
9. Merax 26″ Mountain Bicycle
Built-in Shimano derailleurs which are the most trusted in the market, Merax is another excellent heavy-duty mountain bicycle for heavy guys. Moreover, it comes in different designs and colors to suit many bicyclists’ preferences.
- Flexibility: One of the most unique traits of Merax 26’’ is its flexibility. You can change gears as this bike has up to 21 speeds. This provides you with ultimate flexibility, enabling you to navigate through a variety of terrains. Also, you will not need too much effort to change gears since it is made so that even amateurs can easily shift from one gear to another.
- Aluminum frame and wheels: Both the frame and wheels of Merax 26’’ are made of aluminum which is heat-treated to ensure that the bikes are strong and durable.
- Look out suspension system: Thanks to the mechanical dual disc brakes which bring the big advantage of fast stopping power, the riders are ensured to take on obstacles and reduce the risk of getting an accident. This mountain bike will keep you safe and relaxed.
- Soft fork/shocks: The most noticeable weak point of this bike is its soft front fork, which might affect its stability.
- No handlebar adjustment: Many people may need to adjust the handlebar so that the bike becomes fitter and more comfortable for them. However, the Merax 26’’ cannot provide riders with this function.
Mountain bikes for big guys
10. Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat Bike Mens
The Framed Minnesota Fat Bike 2.0 comes with innovative and improved features. As compared to the regular mountain bikes, there are a lot of differences in the fat bike composition.
- Easy assembly: The Framed Minnesota 2.0 is a professional bike mechanic that has all the tools and expertise to assemble your bike quickly and precisely. Having a pro assemble your bike will save time, avoid unnecessary repairs and mitigate any potential safety hazards from doing it yourself.
- Easy to ride: As one healthy Pro, both the Framed Minnesota 2.0 and 3.0 bikes are flexible and easy to ride. Both the bikes offer great stability, a better braking system, and gear shift mechanisms.
- Price: The price for the bikes is affordable, compared to their materials, design, and functions.
- Design: They are stylish enough to meet your aesthetic needs. It has two main colors which are black and green. The bike models are lightweight, high-quality aluminum alloy pedals, and a smaller cockpit.
- One of the biggest con is that both the Framed Minnesota Fat Bike 2.0 offers no provision of a water bottle and the holder.
- Limited numbers of products: Another drawback is that the bikes aren’t available globally.
- The shorter area of the cockpit isn’t suitable for longer rides.
11. Mongoose Malus Fat Tires Bike
Another Mongoose fat tires bike, which is suitable for 350lbs man. It is noticeable for its steel mountain-style fat tire frame and rear derailleur for smooth gear changes. The fat, knobby 4-inch wide mountain tires roll over anything in their path; 4-inch alloy rims are light and strong.
- Stability on the road: Like the Mongoose Dolomite bike, the Malus bike has also received praise for its stability. It easily rolls over debris, small rocks, fallen limbs, snow, dirt, loose earth, and through shallow water.
- Easy assembly: You do not need to be a professor technician to learn to assemble this bike, since the assembly is straight-forward.
- Price: A key characteristic of the Mongoose bikes is their low price, which makes it affordable for almost every one (the cheapest one can be around only $300). When you buy the Mongoose Malus bikes, you will not have to think much about the price since most of them are extremely affordable, which provides you more time to consider other factors such as the bike quality, durability…
- Design: Design is one of the important factors when buying bikes, because it is not only about the aesthetic problems, but also tells us whether the bike is suitable for us. Like the Mongoose Dolomite bikes, the Malus bikes have also received many compliments about their beautiful design.
- Weight: A weak point of Mongoose bikes that many people complain about is their heavyweight. Even when the fat bikes are usually known for their heaviness, the Mongoose bikes are still too heavy (about 45 pounds), which might negatively affect their stability. Therefore, it is more suitable for big and strong guys who can carry it easily.
- Limited gears: The Malus bikes have only 7 gears, therefore some experts find it not enough for them.
- Shifting problem: Like the Dolomite bikes, the Malus bikes also received some complaints about their grip shift. Some reviewers found that gears slipped and that shifting was tricky with sweaty hands. A number felt the shifter was mismatched to the Shimano Tourney hanger and chose to replace it with a standard shifter.
- Greaselessness: It was a big problem for some owners since they have to disassemble and re-lube many parts.
- Low-quality materials: Brakes are primarily made from plastic. A number of owners experienced the barrel popping out of its holder, rendering it irreparable. For both experts and users, discs were wobbly and sometimes disengaged completely.
12. Merax FT323 MTB Mountain Bike
Another bike from Merax, which is most suitable for 400lbs men. This bike is a great-looking bike. The specification isn’t the most high-end in the world but it does appear to have everything that users would want if they are looking to push themselves a little further.
- Frame: Like the Merax 26’’ bike, the Merax FT323 bike also provides users with a light but extremely strong frame.
- Dual suspension system: Once again, the outstanding suspension system is one of the most noticeable strong points of Merax bikes. The mechanical dual disc brakes still provide users with fast stopping power and a good shock-absorption system.
- Gears: Gears are still the strong point of Merax bikes. There are plenty of gears with user-friendly shifters in this FT323 bike.
- Not durable: Occasional reports of breakage and damage during the arrival. Maybe they should change some more durable materials to improve this weakness.
- The seat: The seat needs replacing for better comfort.
13. Ancheer Orange Sunshine Electric Mountain Bike
This is one of the newest Ancheer electric mountain bikes and packs all you need to ensure top performance while out riding hills and trails. This comfortable and affordable type of bike, which is more than adequate for a daily commute.
- Large capacity battery: With the removable 36V 8Ah Lithium-Ion battery, you can reach a range of up to 25 miles per charge. Plenty for a day’s adventure or most trips to travel and back. You can charge the battery on/off the e-bike at your convenience. Also, the speed of this bike is up to 20mph.
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes: Like the Merax bikes above, the Ancheer also provides riders with powerful, progressive braking even in rainy conditions. Safety is one of the most important factors that people should consider to have the best cycling experience, so those brakes are bonus points for this type.
- Various modes: The Ancheer has three different modes: Ebike & Assisted bicycle & Normal bike. With the LED 3-speed smart meter button, you can choose the electric-assist power according to your needs. You can add a burst of speed with the throttle, which is ideal for pulling away from traffic lights.
This bike with its 26-inch wheel may be small for some people.
14. The DJ 750W 48V 13Ah Fat Bike
One of the best and most popular electric mountain bikes on the market nowadays. It is because this type is suitable for a wide range of customers from commuters, bikers to recreational riders.
- Durability: Like the Schwinn Phocus bikes, the DJ Fat Bikes also have an aluminum frame which makes them light and durable.
- Powerful: Thanks to the 48V 13Ah lithium battery included with this electric bike, it becomes more powerful than many other electric models on the market. Its top speed is up to 20mph.
- Premium price: When buying bikes, price is always one of the factors that every rider should consider. You’ll be expected to pay a premium price to secure the services of this bike, which might be expensive for some riders to pursue this type.
Road bikes for big and tall guys
15. Schwinn Phocus 1600 Men’s Road Bike
Another type of bike with a reasonable price that should be considered, Schwinn Phocus bikes are suitable for both personal training and casual training. They are well designed for performance, and they are the best fit for men at 5’8 to 6’2 since their universal size is about 56cm.
- Smooth ride: A noticeable feature of Schwinn Phocus bikes is their speed and agility, thanks to their lightweight frames, gears, and braking. You can drive at a high speed while keeping your safety, therefore it can be used in cycling competitions.
- Simple assembly: You don’t need to be a professional to learn how to set up a Schwinn bike, since it contains just a few simple tools.
- Components: An intelligent combination of aluminum frames and carbon fiber road fork and alloy crank.
- Size limitation: There is only one size at 56cm. You can move the seat post up and down, but the frame is bigger for some wingspans.
- No gear indicator on the switch and low-quality pedal straps.
Bikes for over 400 lbs
16. Schwinn Twinn Classic Tandem Bike
Another Schwinn bike, which is extremely suitable for 500lbs men. Schwinn steel low-step tandem frame with lugged fork offers comfort and style, Recommended rider heights: captain 5’6” – 6’1”; stoker 5’0” – 5’9”.
- Smooth ride: Like the Schwinn Phocus one above, the Schwinn Twinn bike also has a sturdy, straight and stiff frame and well-shifted gear system, which makes it extremely smooth during the journey.
- Handlebars adjustability: One factor that makes many customers feel comfortable. They were pleased with the rear handlebar’s range of adjustability which many other bikes do not have.
- Chain: This bike is reported that it does not have a durable chain. Some chains broke on first use, others were stiff and bent upon riding.
- Brakes: Despite the good frame and gear system, brakes seem to be one of the weak points of this bike. It has delicate brake pads and small rotors that cannot handle modest expect-able braking requirements on a bike meant to carry two people.
17. The BEIOU Carbon Fiber 27.5 Mountain Bike
Another mountain bike with carbon fiber, the Beiou bike is a durable, lightweight frame and contains some very high-end components. And for all of its high qualities, it still has a reasonable price.
- Durability Despite the lightweight: Although this bike has light carbon fiber, it has the ability to hold weights in excess of 400 lb and impressive durability – both in the long and short run. Therefore, heavy guys can use this bike without any problem.
- 30 gear options: this wide range of options is extremely perfect for the speed freak or users who need to maneuver an array of terrains.
- Smart hardtail design: a unique trait that is perfect for users who are interested in cycling professionally in the near or distant feature. Therefore, riders can use this bike in the long run.
- Need to change for more comfort: Large guys might need to change the bike’s saddle if comfort and luxury are extremely important for them.
- Noisy: When reverse pedaling, the noise obtainable is a little more than would be heard on an otherwise standard bike, which is due to the numerous gears. Thus, it might disturb riders’ experiences.
Tips for buying bikes for big guys:
These bikes that I listed above are various in sizes, designs, prices, or utilities so that heavy riders can have an overview of different types of bikes for them. However, there are still some certain features that people should carefully consider before buying bikes for big guys.
- Weight: As a heavy rider looking for suitable bikes, your weight is a top priority to consider. Each type of bike is able to hold a different certain weight, and you have to know how much the bikes you are looking for can carry. The recommendation is that you always go with a bike that is +/- 50 lbs of your body weight. Most bikes support riders up to 350 lbs, but they typically only test up to 250 – 300 lbs. So while the bike you like a heavy-duty mountain bike you want might not show that it supports your weight, as long as you weigh within the range, you’ll be fine.
- Price: Not only when buying bikes but also when buying anything in the world, price is always one of the most important factors to consider. You should determine how much you can spend for your bikes, or whether that price is reasonable considering the advantages and disadvantages of the bike. Additionally, products for overweight guys are usually more expensive than those for lighter individuals, so you should think more carefully.
- Wheels: Wheels are essential parts of bikes, which affect not only how much weight the bike can carry but also if it can move comfortably in different terrains. Therefore, considering the wheels means considering the bikes’ stability and durability. For big guys, they usually have to look for bikes with large wheels, if not, their safety will not be ensured. Most of the bikes reviewed above are big wheels bikes. The materials should be considered too, and aluminum is usually the lightest and most durable material.
- Frame: Besides the wheels, the frames which hold the wheels are also necessary. Without the right frame material to support your weight, there might be many issues. Frames come in many different types and qualities, so make sure you pay attention to getting a bike with a heavy-duty frame. However, it’s pretty easy to find a bike with a sturdy frame by simply looking at the bike’s weight capacity as most of the weight is held up by the framework.
- Braking system: Whether you buy bikes for big guys or for anyone, safety is still one of the most important factors to consider, and the braking system will directly affect that. Having a good braking system will ensure your safety when you ride on a road filled with vehicles. Especially for big guys, the braking system must be more powerful so that it could carry their weight.
- Your own purpose: Last but not least, this is not about the bike but about yourself again. Besides knowing your weight, determining your purpose is also important to choose the best bike for you. Whether you want to do exercise, ride to work, ride for fun, or to take part in a cycling contest… you will have to find different kinds of bikes for your own purpose.
Hopefully you can choose your best bike after reading all of the reviews and following these above buying tips.
In conclusion, choosing bikes for big guys seems not a simple thing because the list of bikes is diverse, and you need a certain range of knowledge to know what is best for you. However, all those bikes above are from the top bike brands and have plenty of features to offer. Therefore, even if they are not the best, you will still have a comfortable experience. Let’s choose and start your most interesting journey!